Monday, December 5, 2011

*1957 - LOOKING BACK TO THE SEMINARY

Not exactly the most flattering picture of yours truly
- taken just outside my Dormitory - my bed is immediately under the window in the picture.
As I tried to find my bearings after leaving the Seminary, things continued to come to hand, which cast my mind back to my days there,with happy memories. For example, some photographs taken on my rather pathetic camera : 

Inclining slightly to the left from the point at which the top photo was taken, one could see the Recreation Hall.I have no recollection of the purpose of the smaller hut to the right. The bushland surrounding the Seminary was dense and largely untamed.It made the Seminary an outpost of spiritual and intellectual endeavour - a type of metaphor for the Church in Australia as a whole.
On occasion, we got to enjoy an excursion. These pictures were taken on a day trip to the Blue Mountains resort town of Katoomba :
A great bunch of guys from a variety of NSW Dioceses, several made it through to Ordination, with varying types of Priestly service, some did not.


Posed to mock the Camera 
Even Seminarians have to eat, and there are two real trenchermen in this picture.
But the photos below are closer to showing our daily routine:


Returning from one of the several daily Recreation walks around the Grounds.The fellow in civvies would be from the Special Latin Class or 5Th Year Secondary School Class.


Infuriating unintended double exposure on what was otherwise a great shot, and well composed if I do say it myself.
One of these fellows became a hot shot international tax expert . Really fine young men willing to discern their vocation .

It wasn't only photos, but books, I believe my massive Liber Usualis I managed to give to another Seminarian. There was also the clothing : Cassock , Surplice , Collar and Biretta these also went to the Seminary for anyone in need. The process was a little dragged out overall, because I suppose, I had little enthusiasm for the pain it caused. But finally, it was all done. And there I was .....going nowhere....adrift.

I ought to have been praying for guidance as to what I should do, I may have done so, I would be surprised if I did not. But I have no recollection of doing so. Sometimes I think, people are so much pre-occupied with the turmoil in their lives and in their heads, that they can overlook the fundamental importance of praying for guidance.God is always ready, and quick , and generous in response, but we must be active in seeking His involvement in our affairs,in showing openness to His Will.Just look at the Parable of the Prodigal Son ( better called The Good Father). As soon as the prodigal has repented and begun his return, his Father sees him from afar off and hurries to meet him.That is how it is with prayer,God's response is generous and often surprising.
















No comments:

Post a Comment